Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Eat This / Not That

As much as I love to cook. I have to admit that its partially for vain reasons due to the well known fact that when you cook for yourself you can control what goes in your food. Subconsciously (or maybe consciously) I'm hoping i can eat whatever I cook and still be healthy and look hot in clothing I purchased early in college. So a few months ago i picked up this book at boarders, and i thought i was extremely enlightening, but it was all about eating out (ex: Bic mac is better for you than the whopper, breakfast sandwich at starBs is better than the branmuffin..wtf?...yeah see what I means?). So although it was interesting I didnt pick it up because I eat at home 95% of the time.

So anyway when I saw that the same authors came out with a SUPERMARKET version I insta-scooped it. (ok theres a kids version too, doesnt apply to me but why do kids have their own food anyway? There is no such thing as "kids' food" unless you count baby food. there are only foods MARKETED to kids. My kids will eat what i make for them..ok im getting off the subject. )
Eat This Not That! Supermarket Survival Guide: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution


This book is awesome it does an apples to apples comparison of all the stuff you buy at the grocery store. Obv any fresh fruits and veggies are good for you, but what about the healthiest tortilla or ketchup or ramen (because dammit sometimes a girl just wants ramen). Anyway I love this book. Its all about the better of two evils. I can still have cesar dressing but now I know which brand is the best for me or atleast know to avoid the one that is the worst. I can still have icecream and know its not that big a deficit! It doesnt control for flavor but for things that i cant tell a difference between anyway its well worth it (who knew there was such a caloric difference between english muffins, oatmeal, and yogurt).

Additionally, it had a website: http://www.menshealth.com/eatthis/index.php

Here are some highlights that was new to me.

Worst food for Women
Health foods that Arent

No comments:

Post a Comment