Thursday, February 19, 2009

parsley and garlic frittata, attempt 1


Remind me to read directions when I cook...it's not as bad as when I don't read directions while assembling furniture ("why is there one screw left over? why does this bookshelf act as if it's in Pisa, ready for tourists to pose with it?"), but sometimes I forget major things!

Case in point: I had never cooked a frittata before, so I thought the cooking all happened on the stove. Not quite. I found this recipe on The Kitchn and oohed and aahed at its simplicity of ingredients and preparation. I happily bought parsley, garlic, and feta cheese and woke up one morning this week ready to try it.

Parsley and Garlic Frittata
serves one
4 eggs
1/41/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/41/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
Knob of butter
Olive oil
24 cloves of garlic, slivered

Preheat your broiler. (Oops! I missed this step). Beat the eggs well with a little salt and pepper and stir in the feta and parsley. Melt the butter in a medium skillet with an oven-proof handle. As the butter is melting, drizzle in just a little olive oil. Cook the garlic slowly over medium heat until soft and golden.

Turn the heat to medium high and pour in the eggs. Cook for about four minutes, or until the bottom is set.

This is where I realized that I should have preheated the broiler and gotten a cast iron skillet...the eggs were cooking in a pan that could definitely not be put in the oven.

Put in the oven and broil for another four minutes or until set through and lightly browned on top. Serve immediately.

The picture at the top? Not what it was supposed to look like. It was still good--just more of a scramble than a frittata. I will attempt this again once I get a cast iron skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment